Rachelle T. Villanueva
4800 – 100 King Street West
Toronto, Ontario, M5X 2A2
- Ontario 2008
- Osgoode Law, LL.M. (Courses completed 2010)
- Western Law, J.D. (Conferred 2006)
- ESADE Business & Law School (Exchange Program JD Courses, 2005)
- Hons. B.A., Queen’s University (Conferred 2001)
Professional Accreditations and Affiliations
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocate’s Society
- Canadian Defence Lawyers
Rachelle Villanueva is Senior Counsel at the Toronto office, having joined Aviva Trial Lawyers in February 2023. Prior to assuming this role, she was a partner at Gilbert Kirby Stringer LLP and an associate at Zarek Taylor Grossman Hanrahan LLP. Her area of practice includes accident benefits with a focus on complex and catastrophic claims. She has argued cases before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Financial Services Commission of Ontario, the Licence Appeal Tribunal and the Ontario Social Benefits Tribunal.
Rachelle has been a Legal Content Writer for Thomson Reuters and Westlaw Next Canada Personal Injury Practical Guidance Module, which provides specialized educational content for plaintiff and insurance defence litigation counsel. She volunteers as counsel for the Canadian Journal of Emergency Management.
- Amoh v. Pembridge Insurance (2022 ON LAT 20-001280 AABS) Reconsideration, Adjudicator Norris, B.
- Somwaru v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. (FSCO, January 2017)
- Filazzola v. Campbell (ON SCJ November 2016, Kristjason, J.)
- Nagalingam v. The Personal Insurance Co. (FSCO, October 2016)
- Bhullar v. Unifund Assurance Co. (FSCO, September 2016) Arbitrator Sherman, J.
- McDonald v. The Personal Insurance Co. (FSCO, March 2015) Arbitrator Osunde, I.
Beyond practicing law, Rachelle is a creative spirit who loves the arts. In her spare time, she sings and plays guitar (and has been known to play gigs with bands). As well, Rachelle is an active boxing, strength training and snowboarding enthusiast.